Thursday, November 5, 2009

Cover Story: Double standards the fashion?

NST

Cover Story: Double standards the fashion?
2009/11/03
ZUHAILA SEDEK


Is there any truth to the grouse that foreign models are taking over jobs from local ones in the country? ZUHAILA SEDEK speaks to those in the industry.

THE Malaysian fashion scenario today is such that modelling may promise glamour, but it seems the limelight is not so easily won if you are not Caucasian.

Many feel that there are too many foreign models on the runways, depriving locals of the chance to prove their worth.

And it’s not for the lack of local talents. From way back in the ‘70s right until recently, we’ve produced many credible catwalk queens.

(Datin) Adib Yasmin, Juriah Jamil, Shasha, Shigim, Nik Marini, Yvonne Blake, Yvonne Gabriel and Christine Lim were among those who had carved a niche for themselves in the industry at the time when local models were most appreciated.

The scene today, however, is not like what it was those days. Names such as Nasha Aziz, Tengku Azura, Tinie, Anita Aziz and Amber Chia still rule the catwalk but some of them have been around for about 10 years.

Read more

The part I paling tak tahan in this article........
Drum roll please..............
..........
.....
" Nineteen-year-old Annabelle hopes Malaysians won’t create a fuss about the presence of foreign models here. “I really need this job. My family in Uzbekistan is poor. I’m glad to be given the opportunity to work. If you were to take this away from me, my family and I would be in trouble. "
I just have to say one thing....Habistu kalau aku makan rumput takpe ke? Man... why dont my parents just invite a begger to my house and I'll sleep outside... you can sleep on my bed, eat my food and wear my clothes while you are at it. After all, if I take that away from you, you will be poor again. Boo Hoo. So yeah its ok that my own parents threw me out. Its ok cos you think I will survive somehow even though Im not blue-eyed and fair skinned. And its ok that I actually have more poise then you. If my own parents don't want me Im sure it will just make me a stronger person right? Maybe I shall save my money and buy my parents a freaking mirror.....
Mirror mirror on the wall who is the fairest of them all? Well one thing for sure my parents face will definately NOT appear cos thier are far from fair, they are very dark :
They are unfair in treatment as
Thier thoughts are darkened
Yeah it might sound a little too harsh coming from me but enough is enough. The industry is seriously like an evil step mother. In other words its a like that thing that rhymes with 'itch' and its not switch or pitch.
Tolong laaaaaaaaaaa!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Witch Bitch

afiq said...

people in the industry kene ubah persepsi.....kalo takde orang hire foreign models..make xkan belambak foreign models kan.....

Steph Loves Baking said...

ahahaha ya la, betul tak tahan!

Ravin said...

so yang designer ni semua sedar diri tu ,jangan syok sendiri,know that freaking facts that youre customers are malaysian and putting a garment on a white gal is not gonna do u any good!!!!

Jaishana Logan said...

Anon - ahahaha both right!

afiq - that's true. they are all mentally colonised! Malaysians memang tak creative... dia suka buat ape orang lain buat. Sorry to say macam takder identity sendiri sebenarnyer. Dia nak in par dengan western society by embracing them. Cubala jadi macam jepun, thai, china dsbgnya! So proud of copying things these Malaysians.

Steph - you should see Mifa this year...no offence to local chinese when i say they should just call it China International Fashion Week instead. Why would you bring 10 girls from China to model la? You could have just brought 3 or something. Dah la one show can actually be done by 10 models. Someone...tolong la explain motifnya cos I really dont get it. ten, TEN? TEN? why?

Ravin - by the time the perception changes we'd be old and grey! But im an optimist. Im sure one day we would love ourselves for what we are and show the world how proud we are to be Malaysians. Now its all just talk. Given the chance most people would switch bodies with a Whiteman.

WS said...

I saw the article in NST too, and yes I wasn't too pleased upon reading Annabelle's statement. I think it's the mentality itself amongst the majority of people in the local fashion industry that foreigners are superior and the locals are fated to be sidelined.

I hope this will change and pave way for our talented local models.

Jaishana Logan said...

Yeah Wan Shin.its very disturbing... and did you realise that on all major local english magazines the models used on the cover are either foreign or Malaysian celebrities. I wonder who came up with that? I don't think it is fair. They would rather put an alien on the cover then a local model. Yeay! Malaysia Boleh! 1 Malaysia! Vision 2020! Please la. Still mengagung agungkan kuasa barat. Cubala bebaskan fikiran anda.

Hedrick said...

Abs, we've been overdosed with the likes of Hannah Tan and Daphne Iking on the mag covers for too long. Dah takde fresh appeal anymore when u keep seeing the same old wood time n again. No offence to Hannah Tan because I personally like her, she's an affable lady and doesnt put on those airs, but those people in charge need to change.

All this time, our mandarins in the cabinet of antiquities are still scratching both heads n balls while wasting more taxpayer ringgit trying to fix Malaysia's brain drain problem (with our best n brightest minds leaving elsewhere to cari makan) by replacing them (more often than not) with half-witted, equally half-ringgit foreign labour.

Jaishana Logan said...

Hedrick> What better way to put it then what you just said. "Hear! Hear!" I say.

zuliana_me said...

Pemikiran orang malaysia masih dijajah. Still think all the matsaleh are superior to us. Please la.......

Ayat perempuan tu sangat menyampah ok.. Plus, matsaleh models bosan la. Why on earth designer don't usually use local models? More unique & beautiful! Ingatkan foreigners banyak jadi buruh je..

P/S: Masih ramai malaysian bila nampak matsaleh je terus jadi gelabah & terasa high class kalo matsaleh tu ckp ngn die (sedangkan tanya jalan kat mana jer...)

Jaishana Logan said...

HAHA yeah...so dumb Malaysian's kalo ader begger mat salleh cakap ngan dia pon da cukup excited nak layan...tapi kalo ader bangla ke orang myanmar ke tak kesah dia executive ke ape diorang ditindas just cos cam orang asia takder class or sum crap $#!7.

Wake up Malaysia.

Anonymous said...

sebagai designer saya ada experienced betelagah dengan modelling agency yang di bagi contract untuk mengendali big local fashion show..I requested for local models only for my show n the idiot marah I tapi I was very adamant I want local models only for my show n he was very upset with me but I stood by my decision until he had no choice but to give me what I requested..the secret is foriegn models to on student or social visit pass yang bayar ciput pun diaorang sanggup n the agency boleh buat duit lebeh..